Tuesday, November 5, 2013

"During the rise of acid house and the Second Summer of Love, bell-bottoms became popular again"



I just googled bell bottoms and that sentence made me smile.


I wanted to share with you my final sewing project, for the end of my first year, studying Fashion Design.

The assessment for my sewing class was make whatever you want.
 Be it from concept-design-pattern draft and sample or simply buying or using an existing pattern and altering it.


I chose the hard way, and made things worse for myself by leaving everything to the very last minute. >.<

However in the end, I was finally able to complete my very first pair of Bell Bottom Jeans!

My initial inspiration came from the silhouettes of Givenchy Couture 2010.
 Although the garments were all dresses, they all had a slim lined thigh and flounce from under the knee.

 I also incorporated some design lines, inspired by my favourite pair of UNIF leather pants, which had three panels across the knee and metal zipped coin pockets.

Overall, I'm really happy with the end result.  Being my first time working with denim, I found it really stable and easy to handle. The hardest part was attaching the curved waistband, which has twisted whilst trying to ease it in to the pant. :(

Sewing for me is all trial and error, but I'm so happy that the silhouette of the garment is exactly what I had designed.  
A lot of people have questioned my choice for flares but I am absolutely pro bell bottoms and cannot wait to wear them/ make more!

What do you think? Would you wear the flare?

XO Sarah




















1 comment:

  1. Hey! love your blog! i just saw you followed my profile on Bloglovin, would you mind following my blog too? It would mean alot! I'm already following you :)

    Carmen
    www.piecebypiecestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete